Company History

Little Silences Rest, Inc. (LSR) was founded as an S-corporation in October 1994 by Bill Higgs, who started the business out of his home, with a lone drafting table he'd had for decades.  Eventually, however, he outgrew his one-room office space and took up residence in the Loker Building in Leonardtown in November 2002 to accommodate the company's growth.  The company now makes its home on the first floor, directly across the hall from Mehaffey and Associates, P.C., with whom the company regularly teams with to complete various projects. 

With such tremendous growth in Southern Maryland - much of this attributed to the expansion of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station - the engineering, construction, and surveying fields have experienced a great increase in workload.  A large influx of new residents to the area has perpetuated the need for additional housing communities, commercial businesses, shopping centers, and recreational facilities.  As a result, LSR has had the privilege of contributing to the design and layout of many of these new ventures.  LSR continues to put forth its best efforts to meet the needs of our rapidly growing community, utilizing the skills of several professional land surveyors, several talented survey technicians, and multiple active field crews.

Many of our clients ask about the story behind our name.  Silences Rest was a farm is located on Indian Bridge Road in California, Maryland.  The name of this farm, originally owned by John Silence, was patented in 1744.  The farm eventually came to be owned by the Norris family, whose youngest daughter, Judy, would become Bill's wife in 1976.  Upon their marriage, a small portion of the farm was subdivided, and became the property on which Bill and Judy would build their first home.  Many years later, this piece of land, called Little Silences Rest, would become the site of Bill's first home office, and the name of his company.